Teach English Abroad in Private Schools and Gain Professional Experience
Meddeas is a Spanish organization that offers different opportunities to teach English abroad for recent graduates, university students, and school leavers. We are internationally renowned for our Language Assistant programmes, and students from main universities in Ireland have already joined them. However, we also provide several options for young professionals and educators interested in teaching abroad. We also conduct interviews every year to incorporate experienced qualified teachers to the schools we work with, which are more than 200.
What Does Meddeas Offer to Irish Students and Recent Graduates?
Candidates interested in teaching English abroad as Language Assistants could join a Spanish private school for one academic year. While teaching English as a foreign language in a school, participants receive formal training (a teaching-related course or TEFL-related course) funded by the programme. This course is provided by the by the School of Education of the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya (UIC).
Meddeas is a professional organization founded in 2011 that provides participants with a secure monthly grant, a TEFL-related course, ongoing in-country support, initial training and workshops (video: the Induction Meeting), and Spanish public health coverage. Moreover, participants can decide whether living in Spain independently or enjoying the hospitality of a Spanish host family is the best option for them.
Meddeas offers 3 different programs suited to diverse interests and backgrounds to Irish recent graduates interested in teaching English abroad. They aren't required to have any Spanish language skills or previous teaching experience to participate, although it will be valued. In any case, participants will be expected to show commitment and a professional behaviour.
REQUEST DETAILED INFORMATION AND THE APPLICATION FORM:
We never spam applicants or share their contact details
Meddeas: The Basics
- - Commitment to a job well done
- - Safe teaching and living environment
- - Flexibility and adaptability
- - Professionalism
- - Global vision of the school
- - Social responsibility (educational projects)
Different Programmes to Teach Abroad Suited to Diverse Profiles
Highlights of Teaching Abroad with Meddeas
- More than 200 schools all over Spain
- Professional placement in a Spanish school, teaching 20 hours per week
- Certified course given by a Spanish university and paid by the programme
- Guaranteed monthly allowance, more than enough to live in Spain as a young professional
- Lodging options: independent housing or full board accommodation with a volunteer host family
- Spanish public healthcare coverage
- Help opening a bank account
- Programme run by a serious and professional organisation
- Ongoing in-country support from the school's tutor and from Meddeas
- Initial training and teaching workshops
- Certificate of completion at the end of the programme
- Children aged two to eighteen. Learners' English levels range from beginner to advanced
- Paid school holidays (except for the summer period)
- No fees attached
Tips to Teach English Abroad
Living in Spain is as safe as living in any other EU country, but much more affordable than Ireland, for example.
Teaching English abroad with Meddeas is a great experience, but participants must remember that it takes commitment and involvement. If they are looking for cheap holidays, they've come to the wrong place!
Participants will need much more initiative and autonomy than a teaching assistant, developing specific skills that will make them grow personally and professionally.
Most participants make friends for life - don't miss the chance to discover our culture!
Testimonials: Meddeas' Programmes Former Participants
"I have fully immersed myself in Spanish culture and learned about it; become more confident speaking in front of a group and more assertive. I have not only acquired professional experience, but it has also been a great opportunity for me to transition from the university to the professional world."
Jessica S., recent graduate from University College Dublin, Ireland
"Meddeas did an incredible job in my placement and in helping me throughout my journey whether it was answering my questions or helping me figure out my required documents. They have also done a great job on following up and I truly felt like they cared about participants."
Christian T., recent graduate from California State University, US
"This experience has been amazing for me and I have loved every minute of it. Living with a host family is a great way for me to experience Spanish life as well. I think that, if given the opportunity, everyone should give teaching English abroad a go as it is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done."